The current building (the fifth) was built in 1754-1762 by Italian architect B. F. Rastrelli in the style of a magnificent Elizabethan Baroque with elements of French Rococo in the interior. Is the object of cultural heritage of Federal importance and UNESCO world heritage site as part of the historic centre of Saint Petersburg.
Since its completion in 1762 to 1904 it was used as the official winter residence of Russian emperors. In 1904 Nicholas II moved the permanent residence in the Alexander Palace in Tsarskoye Selo. From October 1915 to November 1917, the Palace was the hospital on behalf of Tsarevich Alexei Nikolaevich. From July to November of 1917, the Palace housed the Provisional government. In January 1920, the Palace was opened Museum of the revolution, which shared the building with the State Hermitage until 1941.
Winter Palace and Palace square form a beautiful architectural ensemble of the modern city are one of the main objects of domestic and international tourism.