The Church was founded in 1883 on the site of the tragic events of March 1, 1881 there was mortally wounded Emperor Alexander II, marching that day to the place of parade on the Champ de Mars.
His son, Alexander III, ordered to build a Church for the regular services for the dead. That is why the temple got the name of the Savior on Blood, although officially it is called the Church of Resurrection.
For the construction of the Church donated money, not only Russians, but also inhabitants of Slavic countries. The bell tower is placed over hundreds of mosaic coats of arms of towns and cities, provinces and counties participating in the fundraiser. Here is the coat of arms of the Romanov dynasty. The cross of the bell tower is crowned by a gilt Royal crown - a sign that the largest contribution was made by members of the Royal family. Total for the construction were spent 4.6 million rubles.
For finishing heads used copper parts coated with colored durable frost-resistant enamel (1000 square meters). The height of the highest dome 81 meters around the perimeter of the building are 20 granite desks, on which Golden letters describes the act of Alexander II.
From the Mikhailovsky garden, the temple is surrounded by Lacy iron fence with floral pattern made by the drawing of Parland.
After the revolution, the Church of the Savior on spilled Blood was closed and not restored for a long time. There were rumors that he even going to understand. In 1970, he was placed under the patronage of St. Isaac's Cathedral, which provided 80% of funds for restoration.
In 1997, Saviour-on-Blood opened its doors to visitors as a Museum, which contains a huge collection of mosaic icons (more than 7 thousand square meters). Above the mosaic ensemble of interior trim worked such artists as V. M. Vasnetsov, M. V. Nesterov, A. P. Ryabushkin.